Thursday, May 24, 2018

Growing up homeschooled: what I'm thankful for

Ok, so I didn't have much of a childhood. More of my memories are of adult-level learning and work experiences. But I am still proud of how I was raised- homeschooled by a stay-at-home mom, raised on a farm, by devout and sometimes radical parents. I learned alot of things that kids don't learn going to public school or playing video games. I've been saying this for a long time, but as I'm coming to terms with how I was raised, I'm choosing to focus on the things I do appreciate. Yes, there were plenty of monsters under the bed, but I refuse to dredge those up every day.

What I learned growing up homeschooled, an ongoing list:

Taking notes
sitting still
how to sift flour for an angel food cake
how to make & measure curtains
handwriting a letter
selling myself- because as a homeschooler, i always had to 'prove' myself to everyone else
how to converse with several generations
that i didn't have to do everything everyone else was doing
I learned how to explain myself to the self-appointed truancy officers and sell myself to homeschool-skeptics.

No comments:

Post a Comment