Thursday, May 24, 2018

Human Portrait 2 12/7/16

Written 12/7/16

St Louis, August 2016. Walking from my hotel to downtown after sleeping off a hangover through the general session of day two of Younique Convention '16.

I had reached the downtown office district, and was walking toward the convention center. A gentleman in a motorized wheelchair flagged me down, and asked me to open a door for him. It was a side door off the main entrance to an office skyscraper, like the security door aside from a revolving door. I went to pull open the door for him, but he offered a key to open the door. It was the type of door you have to unlock , pull open, and then disengage the key from.

I remarked, "This isn't very nice," to which he replied, "I come in on Saturdays to work [extra]." I unlocked an opened the door for him, remarking, "This isn't very convenient for you." He was appreciative, and we went our separate ways.

I haven't thought of him since then. A full six months. I wonder if he's still going into work on Saturday mornings and flagging down tourists to open his lobby door for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment