Thursday, May 24, 2018

Why I quit Younique 4/12/17

Written: 4/12/17

The day I unplugged from Younique was the day I attended a training in Minneapolis with a couple Midwest black status teams. A brand new rock star presenter shared her story of where she had been before Younique and what it had done for her life and her family. Pre-Younique, job loss, lawsuit, marriage problems, and depression. Not all stories are pretty. Some people's truths are messy, dirty, ugly, and embarrassing. But in owning your story comes power. Your power is in your story. This woman's story was messy, dirty, and awkward. She owned her story, she stood in her power, and she owned the stage. Afterwards, I went out for dinner with part of my upline's team. I sat at a table and listened to an orange and a black status presenter bash this woman for publicly airing some of the dirty parts of her story. Apparently it was embarrassing and shouldn't have been said publicly. One even suggested that the MC should have faked a "technical malfunction" to stop the woman. I turned and said to these women that this woman had every right to tell her story and that she had owned her story. They proceeded to smack talk about which presenters in their downlines would re-qualify that month. "shop talk."

Owning my own business isn't my American dream. I have a very strong emphasis on a separation between work and personal life. Work needs to stay at work, and not come home with me. I fought a very hard battle learning to leave work at work and not bring it home with me. That was hard learned, and I cannot regrade. A home business means I come home from work.... and work. Even with business hours or set work times, work is always in front of me, and there is always the opportunity to work more. It literally can't be left somewhere else.

Everyone says you have to keep politics, negativity, and controversial subjects off your wall so not to offend potential cusotmers. I've always said if someone was offended by my politics, I don't need their businesses. I don't need to worry about not offending everyone. I can't please everyone. I have issues I care about. I'm an American first. I kept politics and negativity off my wall for over a year but then 11-9 happened: the election. I can no longer be quiet. Probably 90% of black status presenters are religious women who post about their faith, god, and taking their children to church. As an atheist, this offends me. How is religion not included in their list of offensive subjects? 

No comments:

Post a Comment